Most bicycles are not made to handle the pressure of doing stunts, but BMX bikes are built for dirt track racing and jumps in the early 1970s.
The popularity of motocross led young riders to seek out ways to emulate their heroes with non-motorized cycles, so BMX are designed for jumping, but they’re not alone. What is the best bicycle for stunts?
The best bicycle for stunts is the Legion L500 because Mongoose Bicycles makes great BMX. This bike comes with 4130 chromo parts, a tapered head tube, and a durable professional-grade Chromoly frame that can readily handle stunt work pressure. Plus, the L500 combines the lightweight frame you need to get off the ground with incredible durability and agility.
To see all of my up-to-date recommendations for bikes and cycling gear, check out this resource that I made for you!
Table of Contents
Which Cycle Is Best For Stunts
The best cycle for stunt riding is the BMX. Out of all the bikes ever created, only the BMX was explicitly made for doing daring tricks.
BMX is a name derived from bicycle and motocross, and it perfectly expresses the history of these superb small bikes.
In the 1970s, motocross had a considerable following, and children were especially interested in mimicking their moto heroes.
Naturally, the problem with this was you couldn’t just go get an affordable motorized bike, even if your parents were cool with it.
Hence, the BMX was born out of childhood dreams and the desire to go fast and jump hills like the best motocross riders.
From there, the sport branched into two specialized types of BMX, one for dirt track racing and one made to do crazy stunts.
A good, high-quality BMX stunt bike exists solely to perform tricks.
Top 5 Best Bicycle For Stunts
Once you work up the courage to really go for it as a stunt rider, you are already halfway there. The rest is all practice and having a great bike.
Unfortunately, in a market where you’re spoiled for choice, it can be tough to weed through the many mediocre options and skip past second place.
Here are the top 5 best bicycles for stunts.
1 – Best Stunt Bike For A Beginner – (Mongoose Freestyle Legion L100 BMX Bike)
- L100 is a fully park, street or dirt-worthy freestyle BMX bike, beginner-level curb jumps all the way up to advanced aerial tricks on a quarterpipe, Suggested rider height is 5'8" and Up
- Extreme durability, Mongoose full 4130 Chromoly frame, removable brake mounts, mid BB shell, featuring a 21” top tube length
- Drivetrain features 175 mm two-piece tubular chromoly hollow spindle cranks with a 25T aluminum chainring and mid sealed bearing bottom bracket
- Wheelset features 20” x 2.4” tires mounted on wide aluminum double wall 36H rims with 3/8” female axle front hub and 9T cog sealed bearing cassette rear hub.
- Aluminum U-brake and brake levers provide precision speed control, while the 4130 chromoly handlebar and fork are joined by a 50 mm stem and threadless sealed integrated headset for maximum steering performance.
Mongoose makes some of the most well-known BMX bikes anywhere. If you’re just beginning to learn some stunt tricks, I recommend getting the Mongoose Freestyle L100.
The high-quality 50 mm stem and threadless sealed integrated headset offer outstanding control for practicing the most precise motions.
At the same time, the aluminum U-brake and levers give you excellent stopping power.
This bike has a lightweight 4130 chromo frame, handlebar, fork, and removable brake mounts for light and easy riding.
Best of all, you get wide, aluminum double-walled wheels and 20” x 2. 4” tires that give you extra stability.
Get Started on your stunt riding dreams by ordering here.
2 – Best Stunt Bike In The World – (Mongoose Legion L500 BMX Bike)
- L500 is a fully park, street or dirt worthy freestyle BMX bike, beginner level curb jumps all the way up to advanced aerial tricks on a quarter pipe, Suggested rider height is 5'8" and up.
- Extreme durability, features a Mongoose full 4130 Chromoly frame with removable brake mounts and mid BB shell, featuring a 21” top tube length
- Drivetrain features 175 mm two-piece tubular chromo hollow spindle cranks with a 25T aluminum chain ring and mid sealed bearing bottom bracket.
- Wheelset features 20” x 2.4” tires mounted on wide aluminum double wall 36H rims with 3/8” female axle front hub and 9T cog sealed bearing free coaster rear hub.
- Aluminum U-brake and brake levers provide precision speed control, while the 4130 chromoly handlebar and fork are joined by a 50 mm stem and thread less sealed integrated headset for maximum steering performance.
It’s no surprise that the number one and two spots on this list are occupied by different members of the Mongoose Legion line of BMX bikes.
I suggest the L500 to more advanced riders who are ready to check out the best stunt bike in the world. It’s a fantastic bike from the ground up.
Wide Infinity tires ride on 36H rims with 3/8” female axle front hub and 9T cog sealed bearing free coaster rear hub.
Meanwhile, the drivetrain has a 25T aluminum chainring, 175 mm two-piece tubular chromo hollow spindle cranks, and a mid-sealed bearing bottom bracket.
Plus, you get all the lightweight 4130 chromo parts the Legion line is known for.
To get this spectacular stunt bike, click right here.
3 – Best Bike For Wheelies – (Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive Hardtail Mountain Bike)
- Aluminum alloy hard tail frame is tried and true
- Custom formed and butted tubing for great balance of strength and weight
- Suspension fork provides added control and comfort on the trail
- Shimano drivetrain is a staple of reliability
- Mechanical disc brakes offer great stopping power
If you want to dominate this niche, you’re looking for the Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive Hardtail Mountain Bike.
Popping wheelies means you need a next-level drivetrain and frame that can handle unusual added pressure and stress that most bikes never experience.
Fortunately, the best bike for wheelies has all that and so much more.
The light yet durable aluminum alloy frame of the Diamondback has custom-formed and butted tubing and a top-of-the-line all Shimano drivetrain.
More importantly, the mechanical disc brakes provide plenty of power when you need it most.
Additionally, the 27.5″ tires can cover distances quickly with less work, so you have the momentum for a sustained wheelie.
Grab a Diamondback while they’re still in stock by clicking here.
4 – Best MTB For Stunts – (Schwinn Bonafide Men’s Mountain Bike)
- 17-inch aluminum mountain frame with high-performance suspension fork effectively absorb bumps and thumps, while the 29-inch wheels fit to riders 5'4 to 6'2 inches tall
- Effortless gear change with 24-speed trigger shifters and front and rear derailleurs
- Front and rear mechanical disc brakes deliver precise stopping power in any condition, while the durable alloy cranks ensure reliable gearing and reduced maintenance hassle
- For enhanced durability, the high-profile double-wall alloy rims offer a combination of lightness and strength, while the 2.25-inch wide knobby mountain tires are prepared to tackle rough and uneven biking
- Arrives partially assembled, will require tools, Philips head screwdriver, Allen wrench 2.5mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, & 8mm, an adjustable wrench, and pair of pliers with cable cutting ability
Not all mountain bikes are the same. In fact, they come in at least five different styles, but the one you need is a freeride.
I suggest the Schwinn Bonafide Men’s Mountain Bike when you need the best MTB for stunts.
You’ll love the massive 29″ wheels and 24-speeds for getting up and down varying terrain fast. After all, you don’t want to lose rpm’s when you need more speed coming off a hill or jump.
With alloy cranks, a sturdy aluminum frame, and an incredible fork, you can count on a Schwinn to get you where you need to go, even if it’s airborne.
The front and rear mechanical disc brakes can slow you down again and offer stellar stopping power when you’re done.
Learn more about this excellent Schwinn Freeride MTB when you click here.
5 – Best Small Stunt Bike – (Mafiabikes Kush 2+ 20 Inch BMX Bike)
- A lightweight BMX with a very high specification
- Big 29" Bars with an 8.5" rise. Alloy single wall front rim and double wall rear rim
- 2.4" Fat Crawler Street Tyres, Tapered Fork Legs, U-Brake
- 25/9 Gearing.
- Fitted with aftermarket Lucky 6 grips
A Mafiabikes Kush 20″ BMX Bike from Amazon is small but mighty. Made for riders as young as 13, this BMX knows its place: the street, the park, the road, the trail, and anywhere else you want to fly.
The 2.4″ Fat Crawler Street Tires offer ideal stability, and the tapered fork legs give great control without sacrificing maneuverability.
You will love the thoughtful details and rugged yet lightweight build of the Kush.
VP slim pedals look sleek and give good purchase. Everything about this bike is ready to ride, plus it’s also a great beginner bike.
Check out this surprisingly agile 20″ adult BMX by clicking right here.
Best Bicycle For Stunts Buyers Guide
A bicycle that does jumps and tricks is nothing like a standard bike that goes mostly in straight lines and turns corners.
The pressure and torsion are more extreme, so durability is key, but there’s more to it if you want a reliable ride. What should you look for?
Below is my best bicycle for stunts buyers guide.
1 – Lightweight Frame & Build
A lightweight frame and build mean you have less weight to worry about when pulling the handlebars up for tricks and jumps.
That is a boon for riders who practice for more than a few minutes as it can get tiring to lift the weight of a bike over and over, and a heavier frame means more fatigue.
Other advantages to a light bike include easier portability and less fatigue on longer rides, such as when you ride to a park.
Especially if you are just starting out, a low-weight BMX is probably the best option, so try to keep it under 26 pounds.
You can always build up to a heavier bicycle later as you grow your muscle and skill. For experienced riders, a heavier option can help build endurance.
2 – Rear Brake
Rear brakes are the ones you will use most in stunt riding. Often you may be able to forgo a front brake entirely.
I suggest looking for linear-pull brakes, disc brakes, or V brakes for the most stopping power, though you may want to experiment with what works best for you.
3 – Drivetrain Options
Look into the materials your drivetrain is made from. This includes everything from shifters and your crank to the chain itself.
Stunt bikes put a lot of pressure on the drivetrain with starts and stops, so a heavy-duty aluminum, alloy, or other reliable metal is the best.
However, some drivetrains will use more than one material, which is fine as long as all the parts are durable.
Helpful Tips To Know About The Best Bicycle For Stunts
Picking a bike to do tricks on is serious business. Ultralight bicycles and thin-tired road bikes can’t hold up under pressure or offer the stability you need for this type of riding.
Here are more helpful tips to know about the best bicycle for stunts.
- You need different drivetrain components based on where you do your tricks. Dirt track and off-road bikes need chains designed to handle more grit and debris. Alternately, an in-city bicycle primarily for practicing in parks won’t run into so much gravel and grit.
- There are two types of wheelies. You can do a wheelie on either the front or back tire. Either way, you are lifting one wheel off the ground, but the difference is how you shift your weight.
- Learning tricks is a neverending, fun adrenaline rush. There are hundreds of different stunts on BMX alone. When you’re ready to try something new, I recommend checking out this site for the top 96 BMX tricks. You’ll find stunts for everyone from beginners to pros.
Stunt riding can be intense for both the rider and the bicycle. However, it’s also incredibly rewarding, and there’s no feeling like the first time you land a new trick.
When you look for the best bicycle for stunts, you should consider the style of tricks you want to learn and the terrain where you plan to ride.
A city bike won’t handle dirt tracks as well as most BMX or MTBs, but it can still work well if you only ride on streets and in parks.
Generally, it would be best to look into BMX for most stunt work because these bikes are literally created for jumps and flips.
Meanwhile, a good mountain bike is excellent for wheelies and riding trails where you do tricks.
Either way, you’ll have more fun and replace your bicycle less often if you choose a high-quality, well-built bike from a reliable supplier.