Bicycling is a fantastic and fun way to get your cardio every week, which will help you lose weight and gain muscle. The only problem is that there are a dozen types of bikes and thousands or tens of thousands of models available to choose from.
What is the best bicycle for losing weight? Read on, and I’ll share tips, tricks, and the top three best bikes for getting fit and staying healthy.
The Tommaso Lightweight Fitness Commuter Hybrid bike is the best overall bicycle for losing weight. Tomasso designed this bike to help you put the most muscle into every pedal rotation without excess fatigue. You get the health benefits of a good road bike plus the versatility of a hybrid commuter so that you can ride anywhere your fitness journey takes you.
To see all of my up-to-date recommendations for bikes and cycling gear, check out this resource that I made for you!
Which Type Of Bicycle Is Best For Weight Loss
Hybrid bikes are the best for weight loss. Other styles are limiting. A road bike is made for endurance, with little comfort in mind and a cruiser often lacks gears to shift and tackle hills.
Meanwhile, mountain bikes tend to be customized to suit only one type of riding, like downhill roads, and BMXs are more about stunts and racing than a good weight loss minded workout.
There are advantages to a more specialized bicycle-style when you are a hobbyist for a particular sport or a professional like a bike messenger.
However, for working out, you need more freedom, which means combining the qualities of two or more bike styles. The average person burns 450 to over 700 calories an hour cycling.
A Hybrid bike is a middle-of-the-road version of a mountain bike because it isn’t as heavy and features narrower tires.
The advantage of this type of bike is that you can use it on any terrain. The most important factor for biking to lose weight is consistency.
Indoor Bike vs Outdoor Bike For Weight Loss
When choosing an indoor bike versus an outdoor bike for weight loss, there are advantages to both styles.
For example, weather affects any outdoor cycling you may plan. Rain, sleet, snow, fog, wind, and heat are all occasionally problematic.
On the other hand, an indoor bike won’t get you out in nature to enjoy the fresh air, and it may need a power supply to work at all.
Getting outside has been proven to improve your mood.
According to the American Psychological Association, “Both correlational and experimental research has shown that interacting with nature has cognitive benefits… green spaces near schools promote cognitive development in children, and green views near children’s homes promote self-control behaviors… And experiments have found that being exposed to natural environments improves working memory, cognitive flexibility, and attentional control, while exposure to urban environments is linked to attention deficits.”
Your indoor bike certainly can’t do that for you.
However, indoor bikes don’t have insects or traffic to contend with. You won’t need a tick check after a stationary bike ride, the outdoor pollen count won’t trouble you, and there’s air conditioning.
Most importantly, you can ride safely in any area, and at any time of day or night. The convenience of indoor cycling can’t be beat.
3 Best Outdoor Bikes For Weight Loss
There are many hybrid fitness bikes on the market, and my top three best outdoor bikes for fitness had to be versatile enough to go anywhere.
Hybrid bikes combine the best of two worlds. For example, you can keep the lightweight frame of a road bike and gain a more upright riding position, and the wider tires and better traction of an MTB.
All three of the bikes below have been carefully considered and curated to get you the best possible blend of features, reliability, and health benefits.
1 – Best Bicycle For Weight Loss – (The Tommaso La Forma Fitness Commuter Hybrid Bike)
- QUALITY CYCLING PRODUCTS SINCE 1985: Our Italian designed cycling shoes, bicycle, and cycling products have made riders look like pros since '85. But we're more than just fancy gear, we're a community. Our cycling-crazed customer service team in Denver can help with any questions or concerns. Plus, our Lifetime Warranty Replacement Promise means you can put our gear to the test with unrelenting confidence. We hope that you will Join The Ride, for fun, fitness, and community.
- THIS IS AFFORDABLE PERFORMANCE, NOT ENTRY LEVEL: The La Forma is a top-performing bike that's not just for beginners. Starting cycling can be intimidating, but we believe that new riders deserve bikes that deliver affordable performance without compromising on quality. This bike is perfect for new riders who are serious about their cycling goals. Unlike other so-called "beginner bikes" that are quickly outgrown, the La Forma comes packed with high-quality components found on high end bikes.
- NEVER MISS A SHIFT: Shimano Acera Rapid Fire shifters provide fast, reliable shifting in all riding conditions, so you can focus on pushing yourself. Unlike our competitors, who cut corners and use off-brand parts to save money, we use a 100% Shimano drivetrain. Why? Because Shimano makes the best drivetrain on the planet, and they're at their best when used together as a complete set. Please note that professional assembly is required to validate your warranty and ensure optimal performance
- OPTIMIZED FIT FOR ADDED COMFORT: This pormance machine offers an unrivaled level of comfort that takes the joy of riding to new heights. The compact frame and upright geometry ensure a riding position that keeps you in control and at ease, while the flat handlebars provide a solid grip for maximum confidence. Whether you're cruising through the city streets or embarking on your daily commute, the La Forma is perfect. Built for speed and reliability, this bike is the ultimate fitness thrill.
- BUILT TO LAST: All too often things are made cheaply and break before their time. We believe that bikes should be reliable and built to last. This is why we use premium aluminum in our frames, and back it with our industry leading lifetime warranty. We use only Shimano components, which are backed by Shimano’s two year warranty and function better than competitors. Ride with confidence! PLEASE NOTE: ALL BIKES ON AMAZON COME UN-TUNED. PROFESSIONAL ASSEMBLY REQUIRED TO VALIDATE WARRANTIES!
I recommend the Tommaso La Forma Fitness Commuter Hybrid from Amazon if you want to lose weight.
The La Forma comes in three models and four cool colorways to suit your style.
More importantly, this bike ships factory-direct with genuine Shimano parts, so you never have to worry about inferior knockoffs breaking when you’re midway through a ride.
This 25 lb bike is heavy enough to handle most road or trail conditions, but it won’t weigh you down.
Plus, you get a great warranty when you opt for professional assembly.
Click the link to get the Tommaso La Forma Fitness Commuter Hybrid bike delivered to you.
2 – Best Women’s Bicycle For Losing Weight – (Schwinn GTX Comfort Adult Hybrid Bike)
- Hybrid bike with aluminum dual-sport frame and suspension fork, delivering go-anywhere versatility. 700c wheels are best fit riders 60 to 69 inch tall
- Adult bike has 24-speed trigger shifters that provide high performance for easy and precise gear changes
- This bike is equipped with mechanical disc brakes that give you extra stopping power
- The lightweight yet durable handlebar and stem allow for precision riding
- Triple-density ergonomic grips and sport saddle touch key comfort points to soften the ride
The Schwinn GTX Comfort Adult Hybrid Bike from Amazon is the best superb, sporty women’s hybrid bike around.
This bicycle has the classic lower bar for easy riding in a long skirt, but it’s built to go places. With eight modern colorways, it will fit any feminine style.
The alloy rims, crank, and v-brakes are rugged and reliable, but they won’t weigh your bike down.
You’ll love the smooth shifting on the 21-speed bike. You can have a Schwinn GTX shipped to your door fast by clicking the link.
3 – Best Men’s Bicycle For Losing Weight – (Vilano Diverse 3.0 Performance Hybrid Road Bike)
- Performance Hybrid road bike
- Hydroformed Alloy Performance Hybrid Frame and Fork
- Disc Brakes for Great Stopping Power, 700c Wheels and 700c x 35c Tires
- Upright Handlebar for Comfort
- Free Pedals Included, Bike Requires Assembly and Tuning
The Vilano Diverse 3.0 Performance Hybrid Road Bike from Amazon is an excellent men’s performance bike known for living up to its name with durability and versatility.
The large 700c wheels and 700c x 35c tires are great for setting a pavement-eating pace to burn more calories or for a leisure ride.
This bicycle is also an excellent commuter for anyone who works in the city.
You can choose from 3 different frame sizes to get the right fit. When you’re ready for a challenge, you’ll appreciate the 24-speed drivetrain that can help you conquer any hill and the excellent disc brakes for coming back down again.
Learn more about the Vilano DIverse when you click the link.
Best Bicycle For Losing Weight Buyers Guide
Getting the right bike for weight loss is not quite like picking out the best stunt bike or gravel bike.
A hybrid offers the right combination of versatility and convenience for most people. Still, let’s look at the essential qualities you need to drop those pounds.
Feel free to bookmark this best bicycle for losing weight buyers’ guide and use it when looking for your next fitness bike.
1 – Bike Weight
Getting the right bike to lose weight means finding a good balance of light and agile. Your bicycle should be over 17 pounds because that will help you maintain stability on the road.
However, beyond that, more weight isn’t always better. Get a bike under 30 lbs whenever possible. A light aluminum or carbon fiber bike will help you ride longer and prevent accidental fatigue.
2 – Trusted Brand
You do not need the most expensive bicycle from some ridiculous elite custom manufacturer to lose weight.
Instead, save some money and get a high-quality, mid-range bike from an established and trusted brand like Schwinn or Tomasso.
You’ll get the same calorie burn without breaking the bank, and you can always upgrade later when you get in such good shape that you start signing up for endurance races.
3 – Never Settle
Don’t cut costs by settling for a bike you don’t like. If you hate the color, you can get a paint job, but if the whole bike looks weird or simply makes you feel uncomfortable when you ride it, you’re going to make excuses to avoid riding.
Pick a bicycle that delights you and empowers you to get out and feel the wind in your hair.
Helpful Tips To Know About The Best Bicycle For Losing Weight
Once you have the best bicycle for losing weight you have to set a schedule and go ride. Plan to go for a 20 or 30-minute ride at least five days a week.
The Mayo Clinic recommends you get 150 minutes of moderate exercise, or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise a week to help lose weight.
Here are more helpful tips to know about the best bicycle for losing weight.
- A heavier bicycle may seem like a fast easy way to sweat more and lose weight faster, but it’s not that simple. If you choose a bike that is too weighty, your muscles will fatigue faster, and you won’t be able to go as far. Worse still, you could end up injured from straining. Instead, opt for a light yet balanced bike that lets you relax a little more and ride a lot longer. Your scale will thank you.
- Ultimately the best bicycle for losing weight is any bike you get on and ride. Starting a weight loss journey is difficult enough without over committing to learning how to bike up mountains if you’re more of a leisure rider in the city. Always be ambitious, but also be realistic.
- Cycling, especially when you’re new should leave you a little sore. However, if you don’t ache at all until the next day, you’ve pushed too hard. There is such a thing as too much bike riding. Although a healthy amount of muscle soreness is normal as you build strength, you also should not be in serious pain during or after a ride. If you are, slow down, take shorter rides, and look at your posture.
- Make small adjustments to the angle of your seat, handlebar rise, and other vital, adaptable parts for more cycling comfort rather than trying to get used to pain. You will lose weight faster if you don’t hurt yourself.
Whether it’s baby fat, the freshman fifteen, pandemic lockdown pounds, or a lifelong struggle to get fit, cycling is one of the best possible exercises for anyone.
Consistency is the key to losing weight, and riding can help make it fun. Incorporating a bicycle into your lifestyle changes will help you get the cardio exercise you need to shed some unwanted pounds.
Plus, getting outdoors comes with some surprising mental health benefits as well. If you’re still on the fence, get a great hybrid bike and see for yourself. You won’t regret it.