The market for XXL and larger bicycles is highly specialized, but most tall riders will easily fit on a size L or XL frame. If you are over 6’5, unfortunately, you’re going to need to custom order or shop with one of the few unique small bicycle businesses that create oversized bikes to cater to your height group. What is the best touring bicycle for tall riders?
The best touring bicycle for tall riders is the Tommaso Sentiero, which comes in five frame sizes to fit riders up to 6’5. This outstanding bicycle comes factory-direct with high-quality Shimano parts, so you never have to worry about knockoffs or low quality. More importantly, Tommaso is a well-known and trusted brand with outstanding customer service and excellent warranties.
To see all of my up-to-date recommendations for bikes and cycling gear, check out this resource that I made for you!
3 Best Touring Bikes For Tall Riders
Touring bikes come in several styles, and they are often hybrids that are made from the most reliable, comfortable, and repairable parts of other bike styles.
Luckily, all that variety means there’s something for everyone. Tall riders can get in on the fun too.
After searching through hundreds of bicycles, I’ve narrowed it down to the three best touring bikes for tall riders.
The list below has a style for every tall rider who wants to go bike touring.
1 – Best Beginner Touring Bicycle For Tall Riders – (Hiland Hybrid Road Bike)
- HILAND aluminum frame, plus with mechanical DISC-brake design.
- Road bike speed and hybrid bike versatility. SHIMANO 24(3*8gears) speeds change system provide a stable speed change experience.
- Aluminum rims,SHIMANO 12-32T cassette and KENDA 700*40C High-performance tyres,good riding experience.
- 85% pre-assembled,easy to assemble,free installation tools and pedals include.Frame 5 Years warranty.Without kickstand.
- Weight: Approximately 32lbs with pedals. Size 49cm for 5'7'' & 5'10", 53cm for 5'9'' & 6'1",57cm for 6'1'' & 6'5", PLEASE CHECK THE SIZE
Everyone starts somewhere, and the Hiland Hybrid Road Bike is the best beginner touring bicycle for tall riders.
One of the cool features you get with this bike is a tool kit so you can assemble and make some repairs on your own.
Since the bike comes 85% pre-assembled, it won’t take long before you’re in the saddle and ready to see the world.
Shimano makes most of the drivetrain components on this superb starter bike, so you know they’re reliable. Plus, the frame (without a kickstand) has a five-year warranty.
Learn all about this hybrid Hiland road bicycle when you click here.
2 – Best Sport Touring Bike For Tall Riders – (Tommaso Sentiero Gravel Bike)
- DURABLE & RELIABLE: Aluminum Compact Frame combined with an SST Steel Fork for Maximum Durability, backed up with our industry leading Lifetime Frame & Fork Warranty. Frame is drilled for all varieties of racks and fenders, making the Sentiero the ultimate commuter and touring bike.
- POWERFUL PEFORMANCE & SPEED: 3x8 Shimano Claris Groupset, featuring a 30/39/50T Claris crankset and 12x25T Claris cassette. Perfect for varying and rugged terrain, from flats to hills to rocky climbs, offering a wide range of gears for all levels of riders in all conditions
- RUGGED, ALL-TERRAIN CAPABILITIES: Tommaso TC-20D rims and offer the rugged durability of a 28 spoke rim that can handle all types of terrain and keep rolling. And new for 2019, we have added wider 700x 40c tires. The Sentiero is also equipped with Avid BB5 disc brakes for added stopping power in adverse weather conditions, making this bike perfect for all weather and terrain conditions.
- OPTIMIZED FIT FOR ADDED COMFORT: Compact frame geometry and premium compact handlebars offer increased power and comfort in a sleek package. Every part of the Sentiero is designed for maximum comfort and efficiency, so you are getting the most out of every ride, whether it is 10 miles or 100 miles. SIZING: If in-between sizes, sizing down is a more comfortable ride and sizing up is a more aggressive, race feel.
- PROFESSIONAL ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: To ensure optimal performance and to validate the warranties of your new bike we recommend that you have it professionally assembled before riding.
My top choice for best sport and all-around touring bike for tall riders is this Tommaso Sentiero from Amazon.
The XL frame can accommodate riders up to 6’5. Not only is it factory direct and built with Shimano components, but the Sentiero has a lifetime frame and fork warranty.
Tommaso is so sure it is putting out quality touring bikes that the company stands behind the work with one of the best warranties in the industry.
You probably won’t need it, but Tommaso has a US-based customer service team to ensure that all your concerns and questions are heard and responded to promptly and clearly.
This Denver, Colorado-based company has been around since 1985.
Learn all about the Tommaso Sentiero when you click here.
3 – Best Comfort Touring Bike For Tall Riders – (Schwinn Wayfarer Adult Bike Hybrid Retro-Styled Cruiser)
- Great for casual pavement and bike path riding; 28-Inch wheels fit riders 64 to 72 inches tall
- With retro city-style 18-Inch steel frame and steel fork are sturdy yet responsive
- 7-speed twist shifters provide smooth gear changes. Convenient rear rack offers plenty of cargo space
- Front and rear alloy linear pull brakes provide crisp, efficient stopping
- Swept-back handlebars offer a comfortable, upright riding position that's easier on your back
With over 130 years in business, I never hesitate to recommend a Schwinn bicycle like the Wayfarer.
This excellent bike is made for riders who need comfort combined with the ability to travel.
The rear carrier rack means you can add panniers and strap down cargo on longer trips, and you’ll really appreciate the fenders that prevent you from splashing yourself if the road gets wet.
The padded seat is far more comfortable than the narrow hard plastic saddles on many road bikes, and the high-quality alloy front and rear linear-pull brakes ensure you stop safely.
Best of all, you get a limited lifetime warranty against defects with your new Wayfarer.
You can check out this superb Schwinn by clicking here.
XXL Touring Bike For Tall Riders Buyers Guide
There is more to buying an XXL touring bike for tall riders than finding the correct size. Whether you fit on an XL bike or need a custom frame, it’s vital to know what to look for.
The most important considerations are bike frame size, wheel size, and the materials your bike is made from.
1 – Getting The Right Size Bicycle Frame
It’s important to note that almost XXL touring bikes are custom ordered. Anything above an XL frame is usually not a standard ordering option, and many companies don’t produce the XXL fame sizes.
However, you can call a company directly and inquire about custom ordering a larger size if you want a particular model and can’t find it in stores or online.
Retailers don’t always carry the full range of options because storage space is limited, and not every size or model is equally popular.
The only time you are likely to find an XXL bicycle frame is secondhand.
Since a tiny portion of the population is over 6’4, riders who custom order are the only significant source of preexisting oversize bikes.
If you’re lucky enough to find one in a style you like, I recommend buying it on the spot, even if it needs some work.
2 – Frame Material & Weight
A basic, cheap aluminum frame is acceptable for kids and lightweight, smaller people. On the other hand, tall riders need denser, high-quality aluminum or carbon fiber to support their weight.
A heavier frame and other components like a fork made from more durable material are essential to avoid mechanical failure.
Additionally, it also means you stay more balanced. The weight on a bicycle’s frame helps keep it upright and moving forward, with a much heavier human perched on top.
Even the heaviest bikes usually don’t exceed forty pounds, which means the lightest adults will still outweigh their a bike by more than double.
A more petite person needs a bike that weighs at least 17.5 pounds to remain stable on the road, but you should add another 2 to 4 pounds to that minimum for a taller person.
Even if you are slim, more height means a different weight distribution higher from the ground, which can unbalance a too-light bicycle.
3 – Wheel Size
The minimum wheel size for a tall person should be around 700 centimeters or 29 inches. Fortunately, wheel sizes are pretty standard, and you should be able to find these easily.
Downsizing to a 26″ tire will impact how much clearance you have to work with and how your bike handles.
Maya Cycle explains, “All road and cyclocross bikes are built with 700c wheels, which are 29 inches. However, 700c wheels are designed to accommodate a thinner tire. Many come in widths ranging from 18 to 23 millimeters, with touring tires ranging from 25 to 28 millimeters… A 29er is more than just a wheel size. The bike’s overall design and geometry varies as well. Because of the larger wheels, the bike tends to accommodate taller riders, and these frames offer greater ground clearance for a rider to navigate obstacles. “
Helpful Tips To Know About The Best Touring Bicycle For Tall Riders
Unlike racing or endurance riding, touring tends to be more laid back, which is great for tall riders.
Moreover, long legs are uniquely suited to putting power into large tires, so a rider with more height and a larger bike will find it easier to go touring than a small rider.
Here are a few more helpful tips to know about the best touring bicycle for tall riders.
- To prevent knee and hip pain, you need to adjust your bicycle seat so that your leg can almost fully extend when your pedal is furthest from your body. This is doubly important for taller people as you are more prone to joint damage, especially in the legs. When testing potential touring bikes, start by raising the seat up to meet your inseam and then checking your leg extension on the pedals.
- According to Squarespace Statistics on US population height, “In the U.S. population, about 14.5 percent of all men are six feet or over. Roughly 1% of US women are 6 feet tall or taller. The equivalent height cutoff for US men (only 1% of the population taller) is about 6ʹ4″.” That means just a fraction over one percent of US residents are tall enough for an XXL bike frame. Since only about 13% of adults ride bikes in the US and oversized frames are expensive, only a fraction will need this size, and even fewer will have XXL bikes.
- The most significant advantage to being a tall person on a touring bicycle is that you’re not going to need to work as hard. With proportionally larger bike wheels, and leg muscles, you can put more energy into each rotation, and your tires literally cover more ground. Since touring is all about making long trips, this is one type of cycling where size can be a major advantage.
Getting the best bike for touring shouldn’t be a headache, even when you’re tall. The good news is that anyone from 5’11 to 6’5 should be able to fit a large or XL bicycle frame.
Regrettably, if you need an XXL frame, you may have to special order or even get custom work done.
Less than two percent of the population is over 6’4, even in America, where people are relatively tall, so there’s little demand for that size.
Shops and online merchants don’t always carry oversize bikes. Still, for most tall people, the three touring bicycles on this list are the best option for reliable, well-made bikes.