Cheap padlocks won’t keep your bike safe because a thief can literally tap them open with a hammer. If you plan to ride a bicycle in New York City, you need street smarts and an upgraded lock.
Fortunately, there are some amazing New York-proof bike locks. What is the best Bicycle lock for NYC?
The best bicycle lock for NYC is the Skunklock because it is cut-proof and spills a noxious, pressurized, potent chemical that reeks of death all over potential bike thieves. Sometimes warnings, street smarts, and good lock-up techniques aren’t enough. This incredibly high-end u-lock is well worth the cost for bike owners who want to guarantee their ride stays put.
To see all of my up-to-date recommendations for bikes and cycling gear, check out this resource that I made for you!
How Can I Prevent My Bike From Being Stolen In NYC
Losing your bicycle, especially in NYC, where a bike is the best way to avoid traffic jams, is a significant problem.
No one want’s to spend money on replacements, and ending up without transportation can ruin your plans. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to prevent your bike from being stolen in NYC.
Below I’ve created a simple list of methods for keeping your bike secure, whether you’re running into the store for one thing or planning to be gone for hours.
- Get a GPS tag for your bike.
- Choose an area with obvious camera surveillance that is well lit and in plain sight.
- Lock your bike to an immovable object that is too tall to lift the bike and lock over.
- Pick a tamper-proof lock in a durable, hard to cut style.
- Chain your bike up near other bicycles, but never lock one bike to another.
- Lock up removable parts like cup holders and seats.
- Use two locks. More locks mean greater difficulty for thieves, so they’ll usually pick an easier target.
- Always run a chain through your tires and the frame of your bike.
- Never lock your bike to a flimsy, thin bike rack. Thieves will cut the rack than your chain.
- Consider a lock with an alarm.
I also recommend watching this video from Two-Wheel Cruise. In it, they explain how to lock a bicycle up properly.
This method takes a little longer than a simple click-and-forget, but it’s more secure.
Whether you’re a beginning cyclist or a seasoned pro, this is a good reminder about how vital it is to spend a couple of minutes locking up, so you don’t lose your bike.
Is There A Bike Lock That Cannot Be Cut
- ANTI THEFT: Pressurized chemical deterrent fights back against thieves to protect your bike. Housed within a heavy duty thick and strong
- BEST For BIKES: Safely secure and protect your road companion from theft. Best for folding bikes, mountain bikes, road bike, electronic bikes (ebikes), motorcycles etc
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: High tensile strength carbon steel capable of resisting bolt-cutters, fast and easy lock up with no hassle. Top-of-the-line pick and drill resistant disc cylinder locking mechanism. Designed for all weather resistance and durable
- PATENTED DESIGN: Patented dual stripe design and multiple warnings to denote the dangers of cutting, only lock designed to deter angle grinder attacks
- PACKAGE INCLUSIONS: Includes 3 spare keys and unique key-code for key replacement
There is a bike lock that cannot be cut. The Skunklock V2 is an incredible, U-lock style, cut-proof lock that you can use for a bicycle.
This high-end carbon steel lock does more than help prevent cutting; it actually fights back when someone attacks it.
The unique Skunklock uses a pressurized chemical deterrent, and it is the only lock designed to deter angle grinder attacks.
A striped pattern and multiple warnings tell potential bike thieves that there will be trouble if they cut, saw, burn or otherwise puncture the outer casing.
Like its namesake, the Skunklock will mark you with a foul, noxious, and easily identifiable odor.
Anyone who manages to start the cutting process will be quickly rewarded with the release of this spray, so even if they could cut through, the thief, lock, and surrounding area would smell awful.
Skunklock is a heavy-duty 5-6 lb lock with more girth and heft than traditional U-locks.
The downside to this brilliant patented lock is that your lock will smell like death if someone tries to steal your bike, though it usually avoids making a mess on the bicycle itself, which is nice.
You can get a Skunklock from Amazon when you order here.
I always recommend Skunklock to bicycle riders, especially those in high-risk areas with lots of bicycle theft.
However, not every rider can afford a lock that costs as much as a cheap bike, and plenty of people are nervous about using chemical deterrents.
The list below has the best standard bike locks for NYC. These will help keep your bike safe if you use common sense and good lock-up procedures.
Top 5 Best Bicycle Locks For NYC
Finding the perfect bike lock is tough. It’s worth getting a genuinely cut-proof lock from Skunklock, but there are other high-quality locks available for those who are nervous about pressurized chemicals or their budget.
After years of riding and testing locks, I’ve collected this list of the top 5 best bicycle locks for NYC.
1 – Best Bike Lock For NYC – (Via Velo Bike Lock Heavy Duty Bicycle U-Lock)
- ✔️HIGH-SECURITY & WEATHERPROOF CERTIFIED BY SOLD SECURE – This U-lock has been independently tested and certified by UK Sold Secure |Test Bicycle Category:SS104:2020|Certificate:2090, a leading testing and certification organization for security products. The 14mm hardened steel construction provides a strong and durable barrier against theft and harsh weather conditions.
- ️ ✔️ EASY AND STRONG TO LOCK YOUR BIKE – The bike lock with thickness(including rubber casing):14mm,9.84 in (250mm) x 5.51 in (140mm) U shack to lock and go! Locking your bike and your wheels with 10mm x 180cm cable, fast and easy with our quick, no-hassle system. Great bike safety tool
- ✔️ AMAZING CONVENIENCE AND SECURITY – 2 keys for convenience! The bike U-lock comes with 2 keys. One of them you can take and use in daily life and the other you can leave at home in case the trouble when you lose one carelessly
- ✔️ SIMPLY INSTALLING BRACKET ON YOUR BIKE – Convenient high-quality mounting bracket means your lock goes with you, Our bracket is suitable for bike tube:20-42mm. Pls refer to our picture to install the bracket Value for your money
- ✔️ WARRANTY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE: 3-year warranty applies to U lock for US, CA, UK, EU Cyclists, 90-day money back policy, 24-hour online customer service. If you are not satisfied with it, you get a full refund unconditionally. Rest assured
The best bike lock for NYC is the Via Velo Bike Lock Heavy Duty Bicycle U-Lock. This lock is cost-effective with excellent value for money.
A 14 mm shackle and included cable help you lock your wheels and frame down securely.
You’ll get two keys, so you always have a spare. The Via Vel comes with a mounting bracket to bring your lock with you anywhere.
To get this great u-lock, click here.
2 – Most Secure Bike Lock For NYC – (Pentagon Patented Heavy Duty Anti-Theft Bicycle U Lock)
- LIGHTEST SOLD SECURE GOLD U LOCK - Lightweight Maximum Security U-Lock for Safe Cycles. Portable Compact & Easy Carry Bicycle Protector. Anti Cut Durable ULock for e-Bikes Electric Bikes Scooters & Motorcycles
- DOUBLE DEADBOLT ANTI-THEFT LOCKING - Super Secure Break Resistant Design for Twist Attacks. Bolt Cutter Drill Pick & Saw Proof Antitheft Device. Specialized Protective Steel Plates. No Codes Chains or Cables
- UNIQUE PATENT TRIANGLE SHAPED 17MM CROSSBARS - World's Only Triangular Guard System Stops Any Thief. Best Cross Bar Protectors for Theft Prevention. Ultimate Combination of Tough Strength & Light Weight
- QUALITY POLYMER CASE FOR BIKE FRAME PROTECTION - Smart Professional Coating & Technology for Scratch Free Cycle Frame. Pro Solid Gear Kit with Keys. Mounting Bracket Sold Separately.
- PERFECT FOR OUTDOOR & URBAN CYCLING - Heavy Duty Waterproof & Weatherproof Bike Safety Tool. High Performance Lock for Extreme Weather Biking. Rust Free Metal Components for Rain Proof Proof Bikelock
The Pentagon U-Lock lives up to its name by being the world’s lightest solid and secure lock.
The double deadbolt mechanism on this lock helps hold your bike in place without weighing you down when you’re ready to ride.
More importantly, key registration means no one but you can get a duplicate.
The Pentagon prevents bike theft with its unusual patented 17 mm triangle-shaped crossbars.
Meanwhile, a polymer case and professional, smart coating technology prevent the lock from scratching your paint and bike frame.
Learn all about this super-secure u-lock when you order here.
3 – Best Combination Bike Lock For NYC – (Titanker Bike U Lock Combination)
- Heavy duty combination U lock: The U lock weights 0.8kg/1.76lbs, the steel cable is 0.4kg/0.88lbs. Lock size: 9.0 inches(length) x 5.7 inches(width). Titanker U lock is made of 12mm hardened performance zinc alloy shackle and covered by a 3.85mm PVC coating. This 16mm bike Lock which comes with a 4-foot flex cable and mounting bracket provides you with bike security in all areas to save your money.
- Durable & resistant: Our bike u lock combination is super secure and durable. The combination is covered by a dust cover to protect and extend cylinder life. The whole lock is covered by quality PC material for good looking and keeping your bike from scratching.
- Keyless & safety: This bicycle lock is a securer model because it is a U-lock. With keyless design, no worry about key lost and forget to carry. Set your own 4-digit combination allows to stop thieves from using universal key to unlock your lock.l key to unlock your lock.
- Offer more security: 16mm heavy duty shackle and cylinder are made of solid zinc alloy. Then it can resist cutting & leverage attacks, and provide your bike more safety.
- Warm tips: No bike lock is the securest. Never leave your bike locked outside for long periods of time. Especially in high crime areas.
The best combination bike lock for NYC is the Titaniker U-Lock from Amazon.
The lock comes with a 4-foot steel cable to help keep your tires and frame together even when there are determined thieves.
A thick 16 mm bar provides a significant deterrent to cutting, grinding, and sawing.
With a 4 digit combination, there are 10,000 possible combos so that no thief will guess your code.
The added dust cover helps keep your combination wheel in good shape, lasting longer.
Have the Titaniker delivered to your door by clicking here.
4 – Best Bike Lock For E-Bike For NYC – (Crystal Vision Anti-Theft Heavy Duty Bike Lock)
- 130db Alarm
- Heavy Duty Bike Lock
- Weather Proof
- Multi Purpose
If you need a superb bike lock for your bike, I suggest the Crystal Vision Anti Theft Heavy Duty Bike Lock.
This lock has a super-loud 130-decibel alarm that goes off when tampered with.
The Crystal Vision is weatherproof, so you don’t have to worry about rust, corrosion, or freezing.
There’s an easy carry holder for your bike frame, so you never forget your lock. Furthermore, it beeps to let you know it’s armed when you take the key out, so you always know your bike is safe.
Check out this incredible u-lock on Amazon by clicking here.
5 – Kryptonite Bike Lock – (Power Sports Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 1415)
- 15 LBS 14mm 5 foot chain with six-sided chain-links made of 3t HARDENED MANGANESE STEEL
- Includes maximum security New York Disc Lock with 15mm MAX-PERFORMANCE STEEL SHACKLE
- Durable, protective nylon cover with hook-n-loop fasteners to hold in place
- Hardened DOUBLE DEADBOLT locking for extensive holding power
- HIGH SECURITY DISC-STYLE CYLINDER with reinforced anti-drill, anti-pull protection system
Kryptonite locks are well known for their extreme durability and theft deterrent.
The best Kryptonite lock for NYC is the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 1415, made with New York cyclists in mind.
The hardened double deadbolt won’t budge when thieves try to pry it open.
A hefty 15 mm hardened shackle is more resilient against attacks of all kinds. The chain is made from 14 mm manganese steel links, so there are no weak links.
To have this incredible lock delivered to your door, click here.
Best Bicycle Lock For NYC Buyers Guide
Choosing the best bicycle lock for NYC is vital, but that doesn’t mean it has to be a pain. With a few easy-to-understand tips, you can grab a great lock.
Skip the cheap locks you used as a kid and upgrade your bike-locking game with these tips on how to shop for a quality bicycle lock.
1 – Material & Thickness
The softer the metal your bike lock is made from, the faster it is to cut through.
For example, aluminum, even hardened aluminum, is much softer than steel or alloy metals. Upgrade your materials and look at the lock’s overall size and diameter.
A thicker metal bar (hasp) takes more pressure and time to cut through.
2 – All-Inclusive vs Lock-Only
As a cyclist, it is up to you to decide whether you want an all-inclusive lock with an integrated cable or chain attached.
The advantage to this style is that it’s quicker and easier to use, and you never have to worry about losing part of your lock because there’s only one part.
Alternately, some cyclists prefer a u-lock-only option because they use multiple locks or purchase a separate chain or cable to wrap with.
Individual chains and cables are often more durable or longer than what you’d get from an all-in-one.
3 – Shop Around
Buying in NYC is an adventure. Prices vary wildly, and it’s one of the more expensive cities in the US.
I suggest shopping online with a service like Amazon Prime that covers most of your shipping costs.
By looking around, you can spend more of your money on lock quality rather than markups for retailers and shipping fees.
Helpful Tips To Know About The Best Bicycle Lock For NYC
You need a high-quality bike lock for NYC. Otherwise, you’re just spending money on bicycles to give away (involuntarily).
Spending more on a better lock can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars over time.
Here are a few more helpful tips to know about the best bicycle lock for NYC.
- Only buy locks from established companies. The generic brands tend to be much easier to pick or cut.
- It is perfectly legal for a lock company to advertise a lock named ‘Best’ or use generic, subjective terms like ‘great’ or ‘quality’ with impunity. Read the reviews instead of the packaging.
- According to Bicycle Habitat, “15,000 bikes are reported stolen in New York City every year. Experts believe that this figure represents only 20% of the actual total, only those that were reported. The real number is more like 75,000 bike thefts per year.”
No one wants to be part of a crime statistic group, so you need to take steps to protect yourself from common dangers in your area.
For cyclists in NYC, this includes upgrading to the best bike locks, so your bicycle doesn’t get stolen as soon as it’s out of sight.
Choose the highest-quality lock, made from the most durable materials by a trusted and reliable company every time.
Skipping steps and cutting corners can cost you a lot of money if you choose a cheap knockoff.