If you want to put a gas motor on a bicycle, you must comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), but electric engines are a different story. Either way, you still need a durable and high-quality bike to handle the additional pressure from traveling at higher speeds.
What is the best bicycle for an engine kit? I’ve built quite a few, and I’m happy to share what I’ve learned through trial and error.
The best bicycle for an engine kit is the Huffy Hardtail Stone Mountain Bike, the adult version, not the one for kids. This bike has a solid steel V frame and excellent front suspension to help absorb shocks, and the linear-pull handbrakes deliver superior stopping power. Plus, 21 speeds make it easy to climb hills whether you pedal or not.
To see all of my up-to-date recommendations for bikes and cycling gear, check out this resource that I made for you!
What Kind Of Bike Can You Put A Motor On
You can put a motor on a bike with a V frame. The best options have no rear suspension like mountain bikes and some beach cruisers because there’s plenty of room for attaching the engine and power source.
The most common size is 26″ or 27.5″ because they are the most sensible to create engines for.
A 26″ style would be a road bike, Cruiser, or another popular style. However, the 27.5″ almost always refers to a mountain bike.
Larger wheels require more power, and smaller wheels need adaptations to make the motor fit properly and run smoothly.
Can You Put A Motor Kit On Any Bike
You cannot put a motor kit on any bike. They have to be compatible. Most motor kits are either ‘universal’ or specify exactly what sort of frame and other features you need to place the engine successfully.
However, even a so-called universal kit won’t fit on every bicycle. For example, smaller bikes like children’s models won’t hold an adult-sized bike motor.
Typically, it would help to have a straight toptube or similar long straight tube on the frame for mounting the power source.
The majority of bike engines are electric these days, but a few still carry gasoline. Most full-size bikes are compatible with at least one or two engine kits, but only V frames are likely to fit all of them.
Top 5 Best Bicycles For Engine Kit
If you plan to invest the time, money, and effort to put an engine kit on your bicycle, it’s essential to make the right choice.
The engine kit you choose must be compatible with your bike, which means you need a high-quality, durable option with excellent brakes that can handle the added speed and pressure.
Using the wrong style could leave you with a broken bike or a useless engine kit after trying to force it to fit. Luckily, you can save yourself the trouble and expense.
I’ve collected together a list of the top 5 best bicycles for an engine kit on the list below.
1 – Huffy Hardtail Stone Mountain Bike
- Assembly tutorial video located beside the images; with a Denim Blue hardtail frame and 21 speeds to conquer the trails, the Huffy Stone Mountain is ready for outdoor adventures; just follow the steps in our product manual
- An exclusive: Ideal for ages 13 and up and a minimum rider height of 5 feet; durable steel frame backed by our limited lifetime warranty (see owner's manual); suspension fork handles bumps and dips for a smoother-feeling ride
- The indexed Shimano TZ-31 rear derailleur combines with the micro-shift twist shifter to deliver 21 speeds on-demand for uphill climbing, downhill riding, or pure acceleration; removable rear derailleur guard ensures consistent gear operation
- 26" X 1.95" knobby tires tear into dirt bike paths with ease; linear pull hand brakes deliver consistent stopping action; premium padded ATB saddle has stitched sides for lasting quality; alloy quick release provides easy seat height adjustment
- Slight-rise handlebar enables upright riding to minimize back and shoulder strain; ATB-type resin pedals on the 3-piece crank have responsive feel; Kraton grips remain comfortable to the touch; alloy wheels in matte black; kickstand included
When you’re ready to put an engine kit on a bicycle, I recommend the Adult Huffy Hardtail Stone Mountain Bike, not to be mistaken for the kid’s version of the same bike.
The 26″ X 1.95″ knobby tires can handle roads or trails easily, and the steel frame is solid and reliable.
Meanwhile, the slight-rise handlebars allow for a more comfortable riding position.
An indexed Shimano TZ-31 rear derailleur and micro-shift twist shifter offer smooth operation and superb control when combined with the suspension fork.
Most importantly, you also get a limited lifetime warranty so that you can ride worry-free.
Learn more about this incredible Huffy by clicking here.
2 – Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike
- Lightweight 17 inch steel frame is the perfect bike for rides around your neighborhood or trails. The 27.5-inch wheel frame fit riders 5’5” to 6’0” inches tall
- Bicycle comes with an alloy crank that provides steady gear changes that cause less maintenance
- Mountain bike has twist shifters with a rear derailleur to make gear changes quick and easy
- Wide knobby mountain tires sit on a lightweight and durable alloy wheel that adds stability and balance to the rider for all weather and terrain types
- Accessories that are included are quick release seat posts that make for a quick and easy adjustment
The aluminum and steel V frame on the Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike is durable enough to handle the added pressure of high-speed, engine-driven riding.
Big 27.5-inch tires eat pavement or trails easily whether you use engine-only power or opt for pedal-assist to go further on a single charge.
Additionally, the twist-shifters and derailleur combine to provide smooth and swift speed changes on the fly.
You’ll love the low-maintenance alloy crank and internal cable brakes. Most of all, though, you’ll appreciate the thoughtful overall design from a company that’s been around making great bicycles for over a century.
Get this excellent Schwinn when you order here.
3 – Hiland Slycan Mountain Bike
- 【High tech Frame】Hiland Slycan has a high quality ultralight aluminum frame for riding and moving with ease,corrosion resistant and very easy to clean and maintain.Internal shift cable and brake hose routing can help your cables last longer by protecting them from any environment,reduce wind resistance for higher speed.
- 【Brake&Shifter】Dual Powerful hydraulic disc brakes are more efficient than other brakes, provide you better durability and stopping power for your rugged and damp adventures . 27 Speeds drivetrain allows you to find the place that’s most efficient for you and the higher gear to pursue speed within a wide range of variability.
- 【Lock-Out Fork】Front suspension fork with adjustable damping absorbs any bumps and dips on the trail for a smoother-feeling ride.When riding on smooth road,locked suspension means your fork remains inactive,won’t absorbe your pedaling power to increase pedaling efficiency. It saves your energy and increase speed.
- 【XC Tires】Double wall aluminum rim is not only stronger but also protects the inner tube to increase the strength of outdoor riding.27.5”*2.1” XC tires are thin and roll fast，have anti-skid patterns, wear-resistant anti-skid, good shock absorption, strong puncture and abrasion resistance,more comfortable and all-terrain riding.
- 【Buy Guide】SIZE S suits riders between 5'1" & 5'7";SIZE M suits riders between 5'5" & 5'10";SIZE L suits riders between 5'8" & 6'2".85% pre-assembled,easy to assemble, assembly tools included.Please don’t assemble the fork BACKWARDS.If you have any questions about the bike, please do not hesitate to contact us for solution.
I suggest the Hiland Slycan MTB because it has outstanding dual hydraulic disc brakes. With three frame sizes to choose from, it’s easy to find the right fit.
Moreover, the 27.5-inch wheels offer stable traction over any terrain.
Double-walled aluminum rims protect the tubes inside, and they’re incredibly strong, retaining their shape even under pressure on long rides.
Most of all, the 27-speeds drivetrain has more gears, which means efficient shifting and climbing capabilities.
Find out more about the Hiland Slycan right here.
4 – Mongoose Switchback Mountain Bike
- Tectonic T1 aluminum frame for lightweight durability
- Mongoose MTB saddle keeps you comfortable on long rides
- 27.5-Inch tires provide a stable and smooth ride
- Internal cable routing allows for neat, clean lines while providing added protection
- Disc brakes offer superior stopping power you can count on in all riding conditions
Mongoose is a well-known and trusted brand. I recommend the Switchback Mountain Bike for adding an engine kit.
With six great colorways to choose from, you can get the right bike for any aesthetic. Plus, internal cable routing gives you more maneuverability.
The Tectonic T1 aluminum frame is both lightweight and incredibly rugged. Finally, the dual disc brakes give superior stopping power.
Get this outstanding Mongoose bike by clicking right here.
5 – Redfire Adult Mountain Bike
- Internal cable routing allows for neat, clean lines ,while providing added protection. Invisible welding technology creates a better connection with each tube junction,while increasing the bike's sleek look
- 21 speeds Full SHIMANO derailleurs and SHIMANO shift lever set make it easy to adapt to your terrain with quick, precise gear changes. Front and Rear disc brakes deliver superior stopping power , so you can feel safe even when you're riding at high speeds.
- Lightweight strong aluminum frame and suspension fork great for longer rides. Alloy rims offer added durability and stability. lock-out suspension fork handles bumps and dips for a smoother-feeling ride. All-terrain tires can conquer gravel paths, dirt paths and rocky roads.
- 90% pre-assembled, easy to assemble, free pedals,required assembly tools included. Our customer experience team is eager to help with email and an extensive video library.
- Our seat with quick adjust seat post clamp,you make easy adjustments to the right height. We offer two sizes of bike frames, frame size 17 inches, fit riders 5'4 to 6'1" tall, frame size 15 inches, fit riders 4'8" to 5'8" tall. Check the size before you order.
My last suggestion for an outstanding bike to put an engine kit on is the Redfire Adult Mountain Bike from Amazon.
The 21 speeds full Shimano EF derailleurs and trigger shifters give you control over any terrain. Meanwhile, a lightweight, strong aluminum frame and suspension fork help keep this excellent bike agile.
One of the excellent features of this bike is that it comes 90% pre-assembled, so you can easily have it ready to ride or attach an engine in a few minutes.
Additionally, Redfire has fantastic customer service.
Have a Redfire delivered to your door fast when you click here.
Best Bicycle For Engine Kit Buyers Guide
Getting a great bike to put an engine on is very rewarding. It would help if you had a solid frame that can handle more speed and pressure than a typical bike, but other than that, there are only a few things that you should look out for.
Below is the best bicycle for engine kit buyers’ guide with tips on what you need to handle the new and different stress.
1 – Front Fork
Avoiding rear suspension is a practical necessity for many engine kits, but that doesn’t mean you should skip all the suspension.
Some shock-absorbing power will help make your ride more comfortable. Look for a high-quality front fork with excellent suspension.
2 – Brake Power
A faster, powered bicycle needs better brakes. Check the reviews to see if they have sufficient stopping power.
If possible, look up the specific make and model, though not all bike companies automatically disclose the details of their brake manufacturer.
Send an inquiry to customer service, and you should have the information shortly. Plus, you learn how good the response time is as a bonus.
3 – Wheels
The reason I don’t recommend road bikes, even if they have a V frame, is the wheels. Stability is always essential on a bike, but it matters even more at higher speeds.
A typical engine can go around 20 mph, while a regular rider only moves at 10-15, so you want wide wheels like those on an MTB.
Don’t choose a narrow-wheeled bicycle, or you risk more frequent and severe accidents.
Helpful Tips To Know About The Best Bicycle For Engine Kit
Once you have an idea of which engine kit and the bicycle you want, there are still other factors to consider.
The basics are fine, and you can slap any old engine kit on a compatible bike, but let’s look at upgrading your ride.
Here are more helpful tips to know about the best bicycle for an engine kit.
- Consider swapping out your seat for a broader women’s style or even a cruiser seat. Since the engine will be doing a lot of the work, you’ll be sitting down more, and a great, wide, padded seat will help you stay comfortable as you ride.
- You don’t have to spend a fortune on the best bicycle out there to find the ideal match for an engine kit. In fact, the most expensive bikes tend to be road racing bikes, which are a terrible match for DIY engine kits because of the thin wheels. Instead of looking at the price, look at the reviews from people who have owned the bike for a while.
- Always double-check the specifications on your engine kit before you pick a bike. More importantly, when in doubt, ask customer service to check that the specific bicycle model you want is compatible. It will save you time and money.
When you decide to add an engine kit to your bike, you have to have the right compatible model.
Fortunately, the V frame style is popular, and you won’t have any trouble getting a high-quality bike that will fit your motor.
Look for wide wheels, good brakes, a broader, padded seat, and a fork with outstanding shock absorption.
Building an engine kit on your bike is only half the fun. The other half is getting out and riding on it.